Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chapter 5: The First Meeting off the Mothers Against Wings

Chapter 5: The First Meeting of the Mothers Against Wings
            Annie’s mom, as an avid homophobe, member of the PTA, the leader of the helicopter mothering club and the author of Protecting Your Children: One Mother’s Struggles, thought that she must do something about this irrevocably absurd young man. So she established MAW or Mothers Against Wings. She saw the wings. She saw the long, slender bony middle finger of this crime against nature protrude from the others. She and five other mothers felt the same way.
Mrs. Atkins (Annie’s mother) started by saying, “I thought gays and lesbians were something to really worry about, but then I hear about this! A rude, repulsive, impulsive creature! He should be burned at the stake!”
Mrs. Robinson countered “No! You should have your husband hunt him as game! That’ll show him to raise a middle finger to us!”
Mrs. Debow said “No! No! He must be hanged!” Mrs. Debow was an older woman, and her grandmother passed on relics of extreme witch torture. Why she didn’t mention these, no one knew.
Ms. Thompson suggested (since she was quite level-headed) “Maybe instead of going through all this nonsense, we could tell someone of higher authority about this. If they don’t care, why should we?” On second thought she added, “Why don’t we just talk to him? Get his side?” Of course, Mrs. Thompson’s requests were unheard over the banter, and even if they were, they would be too levelheaded and logical to be listened to.
Mrs. Ross exploded “Out of all the vulgar, impertinent, offensive, outrageous, rude, indecent, impolite, uncivil, audacious, bold, brazen, brash, presumptuous things a young man can do, flying and then exposing his middle finger is the WORST!”
In a group of people like Ms. Thompson, logic and sensibility would’ve pulverized that remark. A group of people like Ms. Thompson would give the man a chance before bursting down his door with a battering ram. But, this was a group of people like Mrs. Ross; illogical, insensible and extremely empowered by her own opinion.
So, the party continued throwing out ridiculous plots and plans to get rid of the monster that lived in the house at the end of the street. Until, they came up with an amazing, stupefying, insane plan that just might work.
While this happened, Alistair stared out his window. He saw them plotting, planning and deciding. He watched Ms. Thompson walk hurriedly out of the meeting. Alistair hurried downstairs. He rushed to see her.
“I assume you fended for me.” Those were the first words out of his mouth.
Ms. Thompson nodded. “You were a delight in English. The manner in which you spoke prose was like magic. Anyone who could make Shakespeare’s work sound so exquisite doesn’t deserve the treatment you get.”
“Thank you, Ms. Thompson. Why does no one else see me that way?” Alistair asked.
She shrugged “I don’t think I am the only one. Annie has been staring at you for quite some time.”
“She is different. I gave her a wing hug.” I responded. “I love her. She isn’t just a friend. You are a friend, Ms. Thompson.”
Ms. Thompson nodded. “You were my star student. That is until they all found out.”
“It gets hard to cram huge wings into your spine. After awhile I lost all ability to do that. I am part bird and I wish everyone would accept that!” I interjected, and then I added, “I wish everyone was accepting as you and Annie.”
“Well, we can’t all be perfect. And they are misled. And you showed your middle finger.” Mrs. Thompson responded.
I smiled “That was fun. I swore I saw Annie off to the side, giggling. I winked at her.”
“That didn’t help your case.” She pointed out.
I nodded. “I just love sending the town atwitter, though I detest being a pariah. I am good somewhere, right?”
“Yes, you are. Your etiquette needs work. “ Ms. Thompson put her hand on his shoulder.
Alistair yanked it away. “I will change when the world changes! I will change when I can live life knowing I can roam free without a gun to my head or a stake burning I have to be at or a hanging that I have to endure! I have stared death in the face too many times. If it weren’t for Annie and sometimes you, I would’ve committed suicide by now!”
“No… Don’t think that way…” Ms. Thompson started.
Alistair practically exploded. “How can I NOT think that way? I live in constant fear of death or being spotted! I can’t fall in love, either for fear of my wings or fear of my power. Every normal girl hates me, “ Alistair took a dramatic pause, his tone cooled down. “Except Annie. She loves me. I love her. I should tell her.” Alistair added. His dark mood didn’t show in that quote, but rather the light at the end of the tunnel, his guiding light, his Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment