Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chapter 12: A Shakespearean Date and Cake


Chapter 12: A Shakespearean Date and Cake
Alistair quickly rushed to find me in the crowd. When he did, he gave me a quick kiss. I knew that was Alistair by the spark.
He asked, “Have you seen David and Darcy?”
“No, but they’ll be fine.”
“I hope they aren’t lost.”
“Sweetie, if they were lost, they would still be able to find the huge house.” I responded.
He nodded.  “I want to go have a date with you there, was why I was asking.”
I nodded quickly. “That sounds AMAZING!!”
Then we ran inside. The mob dispersed.
He made dinner for me. He used this great red sauce from a jar that had caramelized onions and garlic in it. So any other couple would be sitting extremely close to each other watching the old Romeo and Juliet, reciting the lines. I really didn’t care about onion breath, honestly. We kissed whenever they kissed. We made out whenever they made out.
I recited from the post-sexual scene (during the sexual scene, nothing happened) “Wilt thou be gone? It is not yet near day.
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear.
Nightly she sings on yon pom’grante tree.
Believe me, love, it was the nightingale.”
Alistair replied as Romeo. “It was the lark, the herald of the morn,
No nightingale. Look, love, what envious streaks
Do lace the severing clouds in yonder east.
Night’s candles are burnt out, and jocund day
Stands tiptoe on the misty mountaintops.
I must be gone and live or stay and die.”
NO!”  I exclaimed, becoming way out of character.
Alistair paused the movie. “No? What do you mean no?” He asked. He pointed it out “The line is  ‘Yon is light is not daylight; I know it…’ What is going on?”
“I thought of us as them. And I wouldn’t want you to leave for Mantua!”
Alistair laughed lightly. “I also didn’t kill your jackass cousin.”
“I have one of those, stab away. But that isn’t the point! I feel like we could die any second!”
“Why do you think I did what I did tonight? I love you and I wanted to have a couple of dates. Tonight, I found out I’m not the only Shakespeare nut.”
“Oh of course you’re not! I am the Juliet to your Romeo! I am the Ophelia to your Hamlet!” I exclaimed.
He smiled and recited from Hamlet “To the celestial and my soul's idol, the most beautified Annie…” He started. I took a romantic gasp of air. I smiled. He kissed me. He switched gears from being the nut job that Hamlet is to being the romantic Alistair he is. “I love you and I have a proposal.” He whispered in my ear.
“Alistair, it is too early for marriage, though in a couple years from now that would be perfect…” I started.
“No, but it is a new lifestyle. Let’s live every second like it is our last.” Alistair proposed.
For some reason, my mind couldn’t quite process what he said very well, like I couldn’t grasp the concept. I knew he partially meant that figuratively, but he also forgot to add the idea “since it just may be our last.”
Somehow I found myself saying “Yes, but what does that mean for us?”
 “Well, we’ll go on fantastic dates, we’ll kiss, we’ll make-out and maybe eventually tie the knot…” His voice trailed off at the end, as if he weren’t sure if that was a good thing to think.
“Oh mon cher tell me more!” I exclaimed.
He smiled. “We’ll try to change their minds, try to start the rebellion, and if we fail our bodies will be buried to decompose in adjacent unmarked graves.”
I made a disgusted face. “I meant romantic stuff!”
“We can sleep together, like in the same bed but I know we are both too young to be ready for sex.”
“And too psychologically sound to do it for no reason.”
“The last thing we need is a flying baby.”
“I know. Let’s relax, snuggle up and watch the rest of the movie together. I can lean on your chest…” I snuggled my head onto the upper part of his chest. I continued “and recite Shakespeare with you.”
He smiled as he pressed play.
We recited all the rest of Romeo and Juliet’s lines. Alistair kissed me when everyone was getting stabbed (Paris) or were drinking poison (Juliet). I found it quite odd, he was almost sheltering me from the reality of the play.
After Prince recited the final lines of the play “For never was a story of more woe/ than this of Juliet and her Romeo” Alistair asked, “So what do you want to do for dessert? We have ice cream. We have cake mix, brownie mix, cookie dough… We’re all stocked up because Darcy and I need a ton of carbs on days we fly.”
I asked, “What would require even more of a team effort?”
He responded “Cake.”
I smiled. “Then cake.”
So we got out all of the things needed to bake our cake. We needed 3 eggs, water, the cake mix, cooking oil, the baking pan, the mixing bowl, mixer and measuring cups. Alistair told me he had a tub of frosting we’d look for later. I never really helped bake a cake.
So, first we poured in the cake mix. I wanted to do it, but Alistair wanted to make sure I didn’t dump it, and get it everywhere, so he steadied my hands as I gently poured the cake mix in.
Next, we cracked the eggs. I cracked the first one, and since I got shell in there (apparently Alistair foresaw this and made me crack the eggs into a separate little bowl) Alistair cracked the other two and put them in the mixing bowl.
Alistair needed to grease the pan so he left me alone to measure out the water. Oddly enough that worked out. I poured that in with everything else and mixed it. I must have been adept at that because I also got to pour the cooking oil too.
Alistair and I operated the mixer together. I don’t quite know how, but the batter ended up everywhere. It was a sequencing thing that Alistair messed up on, but at least it wasn’t my fault. Though we still had enough batter to make a cake.
He helped me pour into the pan. He had already preheated the oven, and we had a good thirty minutes.
Alistair and I plopped down on the sofa next to each other. He put his arm around me and asked, “So how are you?”
“Good,” I responded. “But I have a minor problem.”
“Oh?”
“Yes. If I go take a shower like I need to, I can only wear battery clothes, which wouldn’t work.”
“Okay then, I’ll go by your old house and pick up some of your clothes.”
“That actually sounds good.” I responded. He smiled. We shared a cake battery kiss before he left me to go get my stuff and I left him to go take my shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment