Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chapter 3


I had been staring at the ceiling all day, debating whether I should go see Carson. He was cute, but he was also affiliated with the leader. He could take Darcy away. Then again he had his own raven. I just kept contemplating.
“I am serious, Lucy. You have to go see him! You’ll see why when you two meet.” Darcy responded.
“Okay, whatever.” I responded. The worst-case scenario was not that bad, so I made my way to town center.
Carson stood with the latest portable flower model. He wore a black t-shirt, a leather jacket, jeans that had cuts and faded parts and a raven on his arm. I didn’t know him, but he was so interesting.
“Hi, I’m Carson.” He introduced himself with a smile.
“I know you. My name is Lucy.” I responded.
“That name is so fitting, since it means light.” He responded.
I smiled. ‘Why are you so enamored with me?” I asked.
“I’m not enamored, I just like you. I have been watching you from the attic and you are so interesting.” He replied.
“Oh god, you are a stalker.” I started to walk away, disgusted.
He caught me before I could walk away, so he could explain. “No, I am not! If I could have gotten this moment from say six years ago, I would have. I have had to gaze from afar because I was a slave for my dad, he just set me free, so now I can finally meet you.”
“I must admit the feeling of wanting to know more is mutual.” I responded.
He told me “I am not a bad guy. You can trust me.”
“Then why are you breaking so many rules?”
“Because they are wrong. I know there are more worthwhile causes, and I want to expose them. Don’t you think there is something better beyond these walls?”
“I never thought about it.” I responded, honestly.
“Think about it now.” He pressed.
I thought about what the world may be like, outside. Then, my whole world turned around. I thought it could only be better, even if it exposed something worse. I also recognized how perfectly beautiful Carson’s eyes were. They were a lovely lavender shade of purple. They were magical and mysterious.
“Sorry, I just got… lost.” I explained.
“So? Do you want to join?” He asked.
“What?”
“My rebellion.”
“Yes.” I responded, automatically.
Carson smiled and asked “Would it be inappropriate if we hugged?”
“No.” I responded, another automatic response.
Carson hugged me. It was the longest hug of my life to that point. It was also the best. I also didn’t recognize how tall he was.
I asked, “Should I go change?”
“Probably.” He responded.
I followed him to the basement of the mansion. I found a pair of pants for a girl and knew that and beautiful light blue top with flowers on it, which looked natural and an off-white vest that was crocheted. I also had on my raven gear, so Darcy could be on my arm. Carson left while I put on my outfit and skipped happily outside.
He smiled “Such a rebel. That is exactly what I need.”
“I love this feeling.”
“Being rebellious?”
“Yes. “ I responded. “And cute too.”
“You’re always cute.” He responded, unabashedly. There was an awkward silence.
“So when we go outside, what are we going to do?” I asked.
“I’ll grab your hand. It is all improvised from there.” He responded.
“But we’re still friends right?” I asked.
“If you want to still be friends we can be friends.” He responded.
I smiled. “Okay, lets go.”
He guided me through to the front of the mansion, out on the front steps, where everyone could see. Carson spoke. “This is Lucy. She is the first of what will be many who will join my revolution and among other projects will help knock all these other walls down, to expose what they are hiding, change stupid dress code laws, change PDA laws, and bring nature into this town. She is a beautiful young lady who I have been gazing at from my attic for the past six years. We’ve only known each other an hour and I think I made a good choice in who my right hand man will be. I know I like her. So, to show her that I like her, I am going to hold her hand.”
He wrapped his fingers around mine. His fingers were long and slender. I could feel this wasn’t just staged, because I knew he really liked me. His fingers kept stroking my hand as he held it. He also went for the linked fingers, which is the more romantic way of holding a hand.
I asked, “Why is this illegal?”
“We are in love, and love is bad for business.” Carson responded.
I asked “Are you serious?”
“Well yeah. I knew six years ago you were going to be the girl I was going to marry.”
“How do we only know each other for an hour? It feels like I have known you for an eternity.”
“Maybe we are meant for each other. But we can debate that later.” He told me.
The Leader came out. “Oh god, Carson. Love? Fighting me with love?”
“Yes.”
“The attic has two cots, right?”
“Yes.”
“Good. You can sleep on one and the love of your life can sleep on the other.”
“Really, dad? Ground me?” Carson asked.
He nodded “With Lucy, maybe you could sneak a kiss.”
Carson rolled his eyes and guided me to the attic. We had to go up ten flights of stairs to get there. Carson showed me the dusty room he lived in.
“Okay, so this is my bed and the other I think is on the other side of the room.”
Sure enough, beyond the corpses, dust and cobwebs there was a bed. Carson helped me bring it closer to his side. Just enough space was left so Carson could slide into his bed. He laid down.
I asked, “What is up?”
“I’m just thinking.”
“About what?”
“You. I am thinking of how amazing it is to be with someone like you, even as friends in this dusty old attic.” He answered, happily.
“I want to know your back story.” I admitted, in a very blunt way.
He was apprehensive to respond. When he opened his mouth to speak he said, “I saw my mom get killed when I was six. I was picked up by the Leader and instructed to clean and vacuum every bathroom and every bedroom in the entire house. You would think that there would just be six rooms to clean, even if everyone got their own bathroom. It was a grand total of forty rooms, most of them being guest rooms. I have always looked at you as a reason to get out of here, to be something better than my beginnings.”
I responded “Carson, I had no idea…”
“It is okay, I am comfortable with my past. What is your story?”
“I lived with my parents and younger brother Austin. I always wanted more out of life, and you are helping me do just that.”
“Really?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.
“I like you, Carson. You can hug me illegally any day you want to.” I told him.
He asked “What if I wanted a hug now?”
I hugged him. I love those hugs. It got a bit serious, we hugged for a good half a minute.
“Yeah, it is getting late.” Carson awkwardly threw out in speech.
“It is, we should both go to sleep.” I really wanted to kiss him, but if he needed sleep, that was totally different.
Carson and I both snuggled up into our separate beds. I drifted to sleep, very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment