Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chapter 2


I am the illegitimate son there were rumors of. What the public doesn’t know it that all my life, I have been a slave for my father. I am the only one of the sons that has survived the pain and agony of being his love child. My mother was his true love, Annie Anderson. They would go on romantic weekends together, and try to spend as much time as possible together. He was newly married to a tan, beautiful and buxom babe with a step aside attitude, who wasn't my mom. She would be perfect to rule with, since she would just produce a strapping young man named Colton and look pretty. I cleaned their bathrooms and bedrooms for most of my life.
There was a point in time where my mother was still in the picture and she would read me bedtime stories. She would sing to me as she held me in her arms. My mom was amazing, and beautiful too. My mother had long black hair that gleamed in the sunlight. Her purple eyes flashed in amazement and wonder. She could hover over an NBA player and shoot a better hoop in heels. I only inherited the eyes, height and hair. I was definitely hers, and based on the way she would talk about the Leader, I was his. I lived with her until I was six, living a happy life with our stainless steel tableware.
We were securely in the middle, until she died. My mom died right in front of me. I was six when she was murdered. The person had on all black and looked like he was doing the Leader’s dirty work upon further examination. He shot my mother five times straight in the heart, and took the scared child (me) away.
I was brought to the mansion, where the Leader made me one of his slaves. Since I was his only surviving love child, my treatment was being thrown into a dusty attic, which had nothing but corpses of the others, a bedside table with binoculars on it and a hard cot. There was a tiny window, from which I could perfectly see town center. A beautiful blonde girl would always hang around there.
She always gave me hope. She made me want to get out of this mess. She was beautiful, but that wasn’t why I felt a connection without even knowing her. She was always curious. She didn’t wear her smile quite like the others, it was always more genuine. This girl would be curious, pensive and shy. There was something about this girl I found from merely observing her that I loved, and I couldn’t help but think about. That crazy part is, I didn’t even know her name, and I already know we are destined to be.
The Leader, in all of his greatness, invited me to a gala, of course I had to perform, but I still wasn’t cleaning toilets. I learned guitar when I was old enough to hold a guitar. My mom taught me, so playing was merely a second nature. I sang an old standard everyone knows and loves, but I forgot which one. When I ate backstage and got my usual food, mush. I was very mad, but I shoveled it anyways, the Leader (or should I call him Dad) had something important to tell me.
The Leader waited until everyone left the gala. From his seat in the exact center of the room he yelled “CARSON!” His voice was not authoritative, but more enthusiastic.
I rushed to his side. “Hello Mr. Leader, sir.” I greeted him nervously, less nervously than anyone else, but that might be because he is technically my father.
“Carson, son you have worked for me for ten years. You are the spitting image of your mother if she were male. Annie was my true love, and I need to take care of the person that is half her and half myself. I apologize for being such a jerk, Carson, if only you would forgive me.” The Leader told me.
“So, what are you saying?” I asked, apprehensive that I would join the family unit. I sat down, recognizing this was going to be a real conversation.
“I am saying that I truly want you to be my son. I want you to be on TV with me and talk. I will upgrade your room.”
“Why now?”
“We are going through a time where change is evident. If I were to add you, now would be the time. ” The Leader stated, bluntly.
“Why do you want to add me?” I asked, desperate for an answer.
“You have gone through a rough life. I know that makes you more likely to want to start an r word.” He responded.
“Revolution?”  I asked. “Why don’t you start one?”
“I am not strong enough, but you are a young man, with a ton of power, if I put you in the right spot, which I will. I just don't have the guts. You do.” The Leader responded.
I stared at him “I don’t trust you.”
“Nor should you. I love you. I need you. I will do whatever you want as long as you expose how bad a person I am and how corrupt my government is.”
“Sounds like a win-win situation. Do I still have to clean?”
“No.” The Leader responded.
“I’m in.” I responded. I actually thought about the power of television for a bit, and how I could meet the girl who inspired me to live. I could meet the love of my life, finally.  “Can I ask about this girl with a black winged thing?”
“Oh yeah, that blonde with the raven. Since I am driving towards revolution, I am waiting for Colton to pick up on that. But you can ask about her for sure.” The Leader responded.
I asked, “Can you say you love me again?”
The Leader smiled. “I love you, Carson, my rebel.”
“I love you too, Dad.” I responded. I smiled, tears in my eyes.
He hugged me. I missed hugs, since I hadn’t been hugged for ten years. I didn’t care anymore that my dad had tortured me; all I cared was that he was making up for it.
The next day, I walked into town a bit. Even though the air was dirty as I remember it being, it was still better than the attic. I walked straight to the music store, only to find it had been closed. I still strummed my guitar beside it. I recognized I was also strumming right beside the big hole in the wall. A black raven swooped in, and landed on the neck of my guitar.
“My name is Alistair, I am your guardian.” Alistair told me, without moving his lips.
“I am Carson, I need a bit of assistance, so I say you have perfect timing.” I thought.
“I am so glad you say that. I can show you where to find some gear. I don’t want to hurt you with my talons.” Alistair responded.
I nodded. “Understandable.”
He flew off my guitar and guided me to the armor and padding in the armory room. He picked out my size and brought it with his talons. I put on the padding for my arm and shoulder, so Alistair could perch on it.
This is how I stood, in front of the town, during the recording. I wore all black. Black was liberating and free. The town saw me projected on all the screens. “My name is Carson, I have worked for my father for my life, being a servant, finally he is giving me some recognition. He is a total jerk, but more pressing, I have a raven. I was playing guitar by the remains of our old music store, when suddenly this majestic thing swoops down and lands right on my guitar. His name is Alistair. He is the coolest pet ever. He sends me telepathic messages, but he is also my spirit guide. If I don’t sound crazy, then you are the girl with the other raven and I really want to know everything about you, so if you know you are blonde haired, blue eyed and you have a raven, meet me in town center. I just want to make sure you are nice and padded so the raven talons don’t hurt you. I want to make sure everyone in town is safe. Honestly, not wearing black does not keep you safe. I think we need real laws that enforce real things, and I'll do anything to prove it. If you have any questions, stop me and say hi. This is Carson Anderson, signing off.”
As the camera switched to my father, I breathed, and knew I was where I needed to be. I was going to meet the love of my life, and I was going to lead a revolution. I gulped. This was going to be big. So, to start it all off, I started walking to town center to meet the girl of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment