Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chapter 14: Living For the Day


Chapter 14: Living for the Day
Alistair and I went for a walk. We weren’t caring that our lives were at stake, but rather walking back from Starbucks nonchalantly. He and I were talking and laughing over two extremely expensive coffee cups. He and I were barely incognito.
Alistair wore a black trench coat, unbuttoned. His button down shirt underneath was white. He wore my favorite red scarf. He wore pants that matched his coat. His sunglasses (which were like John Lennon’s famous style, or Harry Potter's) matched the scarf I made him borrow.
I wore a dark grey turtleneck, black tights, and a black skirt. My red beret made me match Alistair. My sunglasses were black. I heard we were going to Starbucks, so I wanted to look artsy, like one of those people who always hangs out in coffee shops with her boyfriend.
Nobody seemed to care as much as usual. At least, it was as it normally was as I walk by, with Alistair. Everyone was staring and stalking me with their eyes. Alistair and I were both used to that. We both ignored them, we were too busy smiling and enjoying each other.
I smiled “I feel like Yoko Ono!”
“Aw! So I’m John Lennon?”
“If the shades fit, Alistair.”
“I love this outfit you helped me pick out, Annie.” Alistair responded. He was genuinely smiling at me. With all we had been through, in that moment I felt like a real couple. Not like we weren’t a couple before, it just was now we seemed less special, like we were one of those couples in the movies.
“I feel groovy watching you through these rose-colored shades.” Alistair responded.
I added, “I like actually being somewhere being near your height in these heels.” I wore ankle boots, with a relatively high heel on them.
He laughed lightly “Catching up, not there quite yet.”
I joked, “I’d have to wear stilettos to catch up with you.”
He frowned. “No need to wear daggers.” He got me to laugh, which made him smile.
We were having the time of our lives.
Hannah ran to us. “I want to join your rebellion!” She exclaimed excitedly.
“Totally tubular.” Alistair responded. I giggled.
“When do I start?” Hannah asked.
“Whenever you want to, you’re totally awesome. Make love not war.” Alistair responded. The double entendre was obviously what set me off.
“Alistair, cut the lingo or I’ll steal those sunglasses and break them in two.” I was very direct, not bossy or anything, I actually didn’t take my eyes off of Hannah.
He got the message. “Okay! I’ll put them away! Sheesh!” He then stuffed the glasses in the pocket of his jacket.
He shrugged. “I don’t mind you telling me what to do, as long as you look at me when you are doing it.” He lifted up my chin, so I had to look at him. I didn’t recognize it, but I was avoiding eye contact.  “Take a chill pill Annie.”
“Lingo.”
“Sorry. But you do need to relax, my love.”
“Its Hannah.” I responded.
“Don’t blame your sister for not being able to relax.” Alistair responded.
I shrugged as Hannah rolled her eyes. “I just want to help.” She pointed out.
I asked her “Did Mom say yes?”
“Yes, and so did Marc’s mom.” She responded. “I totally lost my kiss virginity to him.”
“Never repeat that phrase.” Alistair and I said in sync.
Alistair asked, “So have you two dated?”
“Not yet.” Hannah responded.
I smiled. “Alistair and I went on a date. Shakespeare and pasta… Last night was a dream. We should do leftovers and Hamlet tonight!”
“Eh… Sounds too patterny and Hamlet is a nut job. Lets do something that we don’t normally do, like something that happens in a romantic movie as opposed to watching it.” Alistair’s idea was magnificent. “I know a romantic area over near this lake, where I normally write in my journal or just enjoy nature, I have always wanted to invite someone there. It only seemed fit for someone I knew I would love forever and I think you are that someone.” His idea sounded more romantic than a kiss atop the Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe.
“Oh lovely! It is even a full moon!” I exclaimed.
“Oh, is it?” Alistair asked. He added, “I didn’t notice.” He had a sly smile on his face, as if he had planned it all along. I had to kiss that face.
Hannah asked, “So can we stay with you or no?”
“Oh yeah, sure, of course.” I responded.
Marc ran up to her. They kissed. I held hands with Alistair and Marc held hands with Hannah.
We walked inside. Darcy and David were watching old Bewitched episodes. Darcy defended “He got me hooked this morning. There’s a marathon on TV Land.”
David shrugged. “The fifties were a simpler time.”
Alistair smiled. “It’s not my dealing if you want to be magical too Darcy.” He responded.
Hannah ran to the couch, Marc was behind her. The two cuddled up. Darcy and David were already snuggled.
He whispered in my ear “This living for the day thing should be mandatory.”
I nodded. I asked in a whisper “Are you ready to go to the lake?”
“Sure.” He responded. Alistair yelled “See you later! We are going to the lake to go hang out alone.”
Before anyone could respond, Alistair was guiding me outside.
He guided me to a clearing in the forest that was in his backyard.
The sky was a very dark shade of navy blue, seemed to be dotted with tiny sparkling diamonds. The trees were seen next, hovering over Alistair and I but still not coming in contact with the lake.
Alistair and I sat at the bottom of a tree. I leaned on his shoulder. His arms surrounded me, and so did his wings, I was safe and comfortable. The full moon shone upon this scene, allowing me to stare into my lover’s eyes.
The crickets chirped. The lily pads slowly glided across the water. The fish shone as they came from beneath the pads, and more into the moonlight.
He smiled at me. We both were perfectly fine with keeping it G, just so the full moment could be savored. If we started making-out the whole moment would be trashed.
Alistair asked “Would you kill me if I kissed you?”
“Of course not! I could never kill you.” I responded
“Oh thank god!” He exclaimed.
He kissed me. That evolved into French kissing. I told him. “I don’t want to ruin this night.”
“Oh, because I just wanted to make-out with my beautiful, wonderful girlfriend, since I am pretty damn sure she is the one. I thought you felt the same.”
“I do, I just wasn’t sure. You are the one.”
“I won’t pass any lines other than your lips, my love.” He responded. He smiled, I reflected his smile and he continued to make-out with me.
It was amazing. Making-out never worked well with me. He always wanted to go too far, or too much spit or something else. This was perfect.
He smiled. He broke for a second. “I need to let you know something.”
“Oh, okay.”
“I know you are the one because you are the one who came to me in my time of need, got me out of the corner in the attic and into your life. I love you, I just need to know how you picked me.”
“Well, I didn’t. My curiosity led me to you, and I just fell for you.” I responded. “You were yourself and still are yourself in a town of phonies. To quote Darren Criss, ‘There’s nothing more badass than being yourself.’”
“You left out the part about how the town hates me and all because I am who I am and I stuck up my middle finger. Not even really because I shot them the bird! It was more of an offense that I was flying while human.” Alistair responded, now becoming a bit bitterer.
I smiled at him “We will win, Alistair, don’t worry. I love you. We will eventually make peace with them, I promise.” I whispered. He relaxed almost instantaneously. He kissed me.
He said “I’m starting to get hungry, lets go inside, Darcy just texted me that they ordered a pizza.” He stood up, and then helped me up. He held my hand. We walked inside together, ready for anything.

11 comments:

  1. You dont know me but you know my friend Kat. I am a writer just like you and I have to tell you you write really good. I do have some critique,though. Only one thing,really. I believe that the story is moving way to fast. Within a day, Alistair and Annie were madly in love and Annie was risking her life for him. Also I do not believe that Hannah should have a love interest because is she not young? Last but not least,Darcy and David. David had not even been mentioned before and now he is madly in love and living with Darcy? Slow it down,because good things are worth waiting for. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Another than that, the story is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh of course not!!! Thanks for the feedback!!I have a tendency to move things fast in my stories. I am SO glad that I actually have some REAL FEEDBACK!!!I remember Kat giving me your story. She gave me the address, but I haven't quite gotten around to it. I really love the fact you took the time to comment. I will keep that in mind in the final rewrite. I have a tendency to like a faster pace. That's all. :) Thanks for the critique!! No one is ever honest with me about this kind of thing. "Its good" is the thing I hate the most. You should know that being a writer yourself. :)

    <3 HRT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus, it was meant to be rushed with David and Darcy. That's why later their relationship kind of works, but has a tendency to be volatile. Alistair and Annie, it just FELT like forever getting those two together, since I knew they were going to be my main couple. Hannah and Marc, I have to cut a whole bunch of things to cut, so I will probably cut it once I type all 21 chapters up. I am a romantic, so romance is a necessary element to any story i write, and the sooner the better.

    <3 HRT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome and yeah I get. Everyone always says "its great" or something similar when they read my stories and it gets me mad. Please read my story and critique it as much as possible. I trust your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, of course! Whenever I get a spare moment, I'll tell you what I think. I visited the peg just to see what was on there a couple days ago. I need to actually read what is on there. You go to Nova right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I bookmarked it, so I can read it anytime I get a chance, but right now I am messing around with the idea of a sequel, so I need to work that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever you get the time and don't forget to read all of my blog posts starting from the first. I have a short story on there and the first three chapters of my book. Also, feel free to comment on whatever you feel necessary. I go to Piper, which is good and bad. Bad because it is not high up there on the schools colleges prefer. Good because I am surrounded by people who I am absolutely positive cannot even spell intellectual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, Ok, thanks for the info. I was wondering where I should start. Like if you went back to the time machine story I posted, I would draw a total blank. Nova is ok, but not as good as everyone says it is. It isn't the holy land or anything. We have crappy teachers just like any other school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And by the way, Kat said you thought you were being mean, but you seem really nice. :) I'd love to get to knw you better. Anyone to give real critiques

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks :D but I really value all writers' opinions and I have read all your posts from beginning to recent ones. Please feel free to comment on anything on my blog and critique me because no one is and I am hoping you will, possibly as payback for my critique to you. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay :) I'll probably catch a second over the long weekend

    ReplyDelete