Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chapter 1- Invention (from The Time Machine Story)


Chapter 1: Invention
         I always dreamed of what the future was going to be like. Not particularly as I was still alive, but eventually. I always loved the idea of time travel, especially when I could.
         It was a normal summer day, and my half sister; Gwen was sitting on the couch, snuggled up with her laptop, half reading a fan fiction online and half watching a crappy Disney movie or romantic comedy. My half brother Max was watching Top Gear on the other TV and texting his friends who all lived in Massachusetts. Our golden retriever, Zoe had her wet nose pressed against our sliding glass door. I wasn’t playing on Facebook or watching a trillion Klaine videos on YouTube, like I sometimes would. No, I was doing something more important.
         I had a plan, a secret plan since the beginning of that summer to become a total nerd. As I really got into science and math (beforehand, I was a literature leech, H.G. Wells all the way) I found out where previous theories could be easily foiled. My logic grew and I easily became an egghead. I became more interested in doing my own experiments. I obviously was working on secret projects, namely a time machine.
         I walked into my room. I opened up my closet. I walked in, it wasn’t a walk-in closet, but I had a button on the right side of my closet, behind all of my clothes. I pressed the button. It triggers a slide to my subterranean liar. Of course a mattress is at the end, or that would hurt! I then got my lab coat and gloves on. Yes, I am beautiful, smart and safe! Rosie Thomas is quite the catch! (I’m her.) I continued on my project. I was working on a time machine to travel forward in time. Partially, I wanted to see how long I have to put up with this Bieber crap and if he has a legacy. The other part, I was just curious.
         I started with a couple melded pieces of metal, with a clock to turn forward or backward, depending on whether you wanted to go forward or backward in time. I was still working out all the machine parts. It had to have a connection to the fourth dimension. Which I found could be helped by Wi-Fi.
         I heard footsteps above me. I ran up my spiral staircase (by the way, I can afford all of this easily by only telling my grandparents who forget later). I darted onto my bed and picked up The Time Machine (the closest book I could find) and began reading. Gwen came in “I just came in to check you were still breathing.” “Yes! But I am at the epic art!” I exclaimed. Gwen asked “Which part?” “The part where the Time Traveller is actually going even more into the future, past the Eloi and the Morlocks and he meets the giant crab,” I responded. Gwen asked “That is epic to you?” “Yes.” I responded. She rolled her eyes and went back to watch Down With Love or Moulin Rouge. I could hear Ewan Mc Gregor either way. Catcher Block or Christian I couldn’t quite tell.
         I finished the book off, and then I heard a knock. In the back of my head, I knew it was Max. I opened the door, “I want to work on my war ship outside (made out of Kinects he forgot to mention) in the pool and I need someone to distract Zoe.” “I’m busy. I’m… rereading my summer reading.” I responded. I know it really doesn’t sound like it, but Max is twenty-one. Zoe is our dog.
         Making sure the door was shut; I sunk into my subterranean lab. I connected the final wires. The machine buzzed. The hour hand sped like a second hand on the clock on the machine. I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment