Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nerd Love One Act Prologue Scene 1


Prologue
Narrator- She was a stressed nerd, who wished life could fit in a graphic organizer. He was a nerdy musician, who wished life could be better for everyone. She was waiting before school for a project partner. He was there to cheer up girls like her. They both loved the White Stripes. He was a Libra. She was a Taurus. He loved school for the people and interactions. She hated school for the people and the work. They both loved the Beatles. He was a tea person, and she, a coffee person. He was into nerdy girls and she, into actors. They both loved Ben Folds. These two seem like two normal people, bound to meet. That is true. But a story isn’t simply about the action; it is also about the circumstances. This is their story.
Scene 1- Courtyard
(Virginia rushes onstage, with papers falling all over, wearing an oversized backpack full of stuff, to get to the center stage table and stand there.)
Virginia- (angry) I am going to shoot Charles when I see him! First he doesn’t work in class, and then he doesn’t email me his work, then he texts me telling me to come early and of course he is late. I hate group projects! This Civil War project is merely a big graphic organizer and he can’t email me the work he did so I can add it onto mine! Ugh! I hate this! I hate my nerdiness! (Calming down, slightly) I guess nerds always do all the work and only get half the credit. (She sits down, plunks the papers on the table and recognizes she left others behind, so she picks them up, comes back to the table, and sits down again.) My life was so much easier last year. I had a boyfriend. I had a life. I had friends. I had no homework. I had a life. I had dreams. I had a life. I had straight A’s. I had a life. I had a life. I had a life. I had a life! Not only did I have a life I had the life! I had a boy who is the goofy weirdo in the school play. I had no stress whatsoever. I had no problems! (She plunks her head on the table)
(Dylan comes onstage playing We’re Going to be Friends, by the White Stripes on his black acoustic guitar. Virginia looks around. Dylan smiles at her.)
Dylan- White Stripes. They are known for harder rock, but I like the relaxing sound of the guitar on this one.
Virginia- Oh. I like The Hardest Button to Button. (Dylan plays the guitar part with tapping his foot to the beat.)
Dylan- Me too. Do you like any Ben Folds?
Virginia-Yeah.
Dylan-What is the song by him that is the most soothing for you?
Virginia- Adelaide.
Dylan- (smiles then plays the piano part on his guitar.) What is up that you are here so early?
Virginia- I am here to meet Charles for a project.
Dylan- Which one?
Virginia- Joseph.
Dylan- Oh he is a pain to work with.
Virginia- (sarcastically) No!
Dylan- You can manage it.
Virginia- How do you know?
Dylan- I have heard from Marc.
Virginia- (fighting back urges to release her feelings) Are you in drama club too?
Dylan- No. I play for them. I have a girlfriend in tech. Apparently no one else is fluent in pretty much every instrument he or she picks up.
Virginia- How is he?
Dylan- Normal, unlike what Lydia tells me you normally act, and a little bit of him.
Virginia- Well she got all religious on me and he got distant.
Dylan- Lydia has the Wiccan thing on grips a bit more. Marc isn’t my girlfriend, thank god so I don’t know about him.
Virginia- (stifles a laugh) I think it is weird I told you more in five minutes than I have told all my friends in months and I don’t even know your name.
Dylan- It is Dylan.
Virginia- Virginia.
Dylan- Nice to meet you. Do you want to sing something together?
Virginia- Sure. (Dylan plays an acoustic version of You Don’t Know Me by Ben Folds and Regina Spektor. Virginia sings Regina’s part and Dylan sings Ben’s part. It can be censored.)
Dylan- You have a pretty voice.
Virginia- You too.
Dylan- But I guessed you weren’t a singer. You had to have guessed I lip synced for your boyfriend.
Virginia- Of course. He sounds like a dying cat.
Dylan- (laughs) He does. I am a guitarist with fracking pitch!
Virginia- I like your curse alternative.
Dylan- I heard it on The Big Bang Theory and use it all the time.
Virginia- I like you.
Dylan- You don’t know me.
Virginia- Lydia told me all about her perfect guy. I can only assume you fit the description.
Dylan- She wanted a Metallica-loving Goth/punk rocker. I am an alternative rock kind of person who is calm.
Virginia- I noticed.
(Charles rushes in.)
Charles- Sorry I was late Virginia! I only got the causes done.
Virginia- You have got to be kidding me! You were responsible for the course!! Now you will never know what happened at the Battle of Shiloh!
Charles- What did happen?
Virginia- How the hell would I know?
Dylan- I know.
Virginia- What?
Dylan- The North won and it was this battle that showed more modern techniques we call total war.
(Charles is scribbling this down.)
Virginia- Thanks, Dylan.
Dylan- No problem. I want you to be my friend.
Virginia- Of course.
Charles- We only have to turn in one so…
Virginia- You were wasting my time.
(Lydia enters and taps Dylan’s shoulder. He smiles a crooked smile as he turns to greet her.)
Dylan- (fake dramatically) Lydia.
Lydia- (in the same manner) Dylan. (Dylan kisses her passionately, swung over and tongue.)
Dylan- (smiles a real smile and both stifle a laugh) I love you.
Lydia- I love you too. Marc’s lighting is all fracked up so I have to get the right light.
Dylan- Cool. Don’t let him steal you away from me.
Lydia- Marc is nice.
Dylan- I trust him… somewhat.
Lydia- Oh hi Virginia. Speaking of people we sort of trust…
Dylan- Hey! She is nice!
Lydia- Yeah. Wait until she hurts you.
Virginia- You hurt me. Everything was about Lilith.
Lydia- Wiccan.
Dylan- That was a little annoying.
Marc- Lydia, you are the understudy for that romantic part, right?
Lydia- Yes.
Marc- You are her now.
Lydia- But, she kisses you.
Marc- Exactly.
Virginia- (to Dylan)There is nothing to be jealous about.
Marc- Hello Virginia.
Virginia- Hello Marc.
Dylan- Marc, you have it out for me don’t you?
Marc- Maybe. (leaves)
Lydia- Dylan, you and I will talk later. (leaves)
Dylan- Well I am in trouble. I think it was totally worth it.
Virginia- That is good. Marc is going to kiss Lydia.
Dylan- This is going to be one hell of a play.
Virginia- If Lydia wasn’t there…
Dylan- Don’t worry about her. I don’t know you.
Virginia- Okay. See you later (both exit)
Charles- What the hell just happened? (lights go down as the scene changes)

No comments:

Post a Comment